I really like SonarQube, but I need to admit that upgrade procedures are not the best experience I’ve had. Upgrading from 5.1 to 5.3 should be a simple task, but I had a couple of problems. I’ve followed the official upgrade instruction: http://docs.sonarqube.org/display/SONAR/Upgrading but the first problem was my connection string to SQL Server, that needs to be changed. Original connection string was
But it seems that with the new version of Solr it needs to be changed because jtds is not anymore used. The string was changed to
And the service is able to connect to my database. Then I start upgrade procedure but I got an error, and here what I found in the log
sonr Fail to execute DROP INDEX unique_schema_migrations ON schema_migrations
Luckily enough, another person got this error and I was able to find the solution on StackOverflow Post that explained how to create the missing index. Then I restart the service, re-execute again migration procedure and everything now runs fine.
I cannot avoid to compare this experience to an upgrade of TFS on-premises, that is a fully automated procedure, a little more of next, next, next, and it is a product really more complex than SonarQube. :)