When it is time of quick and dirty hotfix

I’ve a software composed by many pieces, one of them was deployed 9 month ago and works well, today we find a little bug and need to change a string in it.

The obvious solution is, take the release branch, change the string, compile and deploy again, but there is even a dirtier approach, I’ve simply disassembled the file with ildasm, changed the string and finally assemble it again (and clearly I changed the string even in the branch).

This saved me the need to redeploy the entire application (uploading stuff via ftp, etc etc), and I was able to do the hotfix directly in production server with a simple remote desktop.

This is probably the dirtiest patch I’ve made in years Smile